How to Use a Patient Lift
Setting up your equipment:
- Place upper section in base of the patient lift taking care to be sure that it is locked in.
- Attach hanger on the end of the boom (arm).
- Attach sling to hanger according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Remember, while bringing through a home be careful to not damage doorways or walls, and also, lift with your legs, not your back.
Using your equipment:
- Before lifting patient, spread base legs fully outward with lever next to mast.
- Adjust sling straps or chains to proper height.
- Slide into position near patient being careful of swinging hanger.
- Once patient is in the sling, lift just enough to clear surface and allow swivel.
To accommodate sling to patient (patient lying down):
- Roll patient away from you.
- Lay sling (patient side up) on surface where patient was lying
- Adjust position of the sling to line up with patient's buttocks and torso.
- Roll patient back to lying position over sling.
- Roll lift into place, and then lower boom to attach straps or chains to sling.
Frequent replacement items:
- Sling may need to be replaced after extensive use.
- Cleaning of sling and double-checking of chains is recommended.
- Wash slings per manufacturer's instructions.
- Lifting from a seated position
- Stand in front of a chair facing the patient.
- Lean patient forward so your body supports their weight.
- Hold sling by top. Allow remainder of sling material to drop behind patient to the seat of the chair.
- To position the sling material under the patient's buttocks:
- Lean patient to one side.
- Reach underneath the patient's raised buttocks.
- Firmly grasp sling material and pull toward patient's leg.
- Repeat for other leg by switching the patient to lean in the opposite direction.
- Once sling is properly positioned, roll lift into position and attach chains or straps.
- Lifting from floor
- Repeat as for patient lying in bed.
- Lower lift boom to lowest position to attach chains/straps to sling.
- Follow lifting instructions above.
- Before Use
- Make sure patient's head is clear of hanger at all times.
- Only raise boom high enough for patient in sling to clear the "transfer from" surface.
- Make sure all parts of lift are properly secured.
- Adjust chains or straps and sling prior to allowing patient to be lifted.
- Spread legs of lift base to ensure maximum stability.
- When raising patient weight
- Ensure that release is locked into "lift" position.
- Check for pinch points on patient where the sling makes weight-bearing contact. Do this before rolling the lift away from the "transfer from" surface.
- When moving lift (occupied) push slowly and smoothly towards "transfer to" surface.