Six easy tips to help you keep healthy legs
- Move! - Walk, climb stairs, and move your legs around the office and at home. Avoid prolonged sitting or standing which may cause leg pain and swelling.
- Refresh your legs - After a long tiring day, or during hot season, refresh your legs with a cool shower. Avoid long exposure to heat like sunbathing, hot baths, sauna that may lead veins to dilate, and induce swelling.
- Raise your legs - In order to ease the venous blood return, elevate your legs at home while sitting on the sofa or lying in bed. At the office, have a leg rest under your desk.
- Exercise - Regular exercise is always recommended for a healthy body. Some sports reinforce a better venous blood return like swimming, walking, biking, gymnastics, and yoga. Sports associated with sudden brutal stops like tennis, squash, hockey, volleyball, and basketball are less beneficial.
- Control your weight - Having a healthy diet will help you keep a normal weight thus lowering leg symptoms and swelling.
- Wear compression socks and hosiery - Quality compression socks and hosiery improve venous circulation to prevent and treat venous problems.